- What is life outside of relationships?
- How do we classify or categorize our relationships?
- Do relationships change in seasons of our lives?
- How do we navigate relationships when conflict or tests come?
Today, we’re going to be looking at these questions, and talking about ‘Understanding and Navigating the 5 Levels of Relationships’
He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. – Proverbs 13:20
A man of too many friends comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. – Proverbs 18:24
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. – Proverbs 17:17
I am deeply concerned about the state of relationships these days. While the advances of technology are wonderful, my fear is that electronic engagement has replaced heart level relationships. This is not the main points of this program, but a friend on Facebook does not (and should not) make you feel as though you possess some valuable relationship. Texting does not constitute real conversation that adds value to you or the person with whom you are texting.
Another concern that I have is that these kinds of relationship points have become EASY, COMFORTABLE, and cop-out ways to feel as though we are not isolated … alone. GOD DID NOT CREATE US TO DO LIFE ALONE!
A great mentor and friend shared with me …
“You only need two things to succeed in life … Relationships and Resources. If you have to choose between the two, always choose relationships, for true relationships will always open the way for resources.”
You can have all the money in the world, and have no meaningful relationships, and you are BROKE. You can have access to all kinds of resources, but if there is not a group of people that you exchange life with, you will ultimately be unfulfilled.
- We are interconnected
- We are inter-dependent
- We are designed by God to have meaningful connections, relationships, and interface
So many people evolve into beings of aloneness as a result of life’s wounds and hurts. As long as we deal with people, we will be disappointed, we will experience hurt, we will find and engage with imperfection. But this cannot drive us to being alone. This cannot make us people who dis-engage with communities, and friends, and loved ones. We need each other, and our destiny is tied to people.
Kinds of Relationships
- Mentors, Teachers, Spiritual Leaders
- Friends and Peers
- Workplace Relationships
- Casual Acquaintances
It is imperative that we know WHO WE ARE so that we can accurately and effectively identify where each relationship fits.
The Circle Test:
- Self – Know who you are
- Family – wife, children, mother, father, siblings, etc.
- Close friends – HOW CLOSE ARE THEY REALLY?
- The Crowd
If God brings someone into your life that is meant to be a friend, and you keep them on the outside in your tribe, then you’ve missed an opportunity to receive and benefit from that exchange of life. Conversely, someone who is in your orbit and is intended to be just a crowd person or even an acquaintance, but you bring them into the CLOSE FRIEND circle, that relationship is destined to be one that takes from you, but ultimately does not reciprocate. Worse, is when you allow a FOOL into your inner circle, and their influence, attitudes, lack of willingness to grow, and overall lack of character begins to affect your own ability to pursue what God has for you
Every person has the potential for greatness, therefore every person has the potential to add something of value to your life, HOWEVER, one must use discernment in understanding where that person is in their journey, because not every relationship is right for this SEASON.
What I Know About Relationships
- Some relationships are for certain SEASONS. When that season has come to an end, it is not wise to continue to invest into the relationship, as you will drain yourself of the very resources
- Some relationships are covenantal in nature, and are sent by God to be LIFETIME relationships
- Some relationships are SITUATIONAL such as business relationships, educational, etc. Most times, these are also temporary
- Some relationships are STRATEGIC, and they have to do with your assignment in a particular season
- All (healthy) relationships are given by God to be mutually beneficial, and for the common good
Next week, I am going to continue talking about relationships. Specifically, I will be dealing with ‘What To Do When Relationships Are Tested.”
1. New Beginnings LIVE Workshop: Coming To Houston, Texas!
- How to let go of your past (once and for all)
- How to re-ignite your dreams
- How to develop a strategic plan
- Be activated for the new season God is bringing you into
- Be watching for DATES and LOCATION!
2. LIVE WEBINAR: ‘Who AM I, and Why Am I Here’ – Join me on Wednesday, March 5th at 7:00pm at BrianHolmes.com/teleseminar
3. Become A Coaching Client – I still have several openings for personal coaching clients. If you would like to have ME coach you in your business, general life strategies, or in any other area, please CONTACT ME for a free 30 minute consultation.
4. If you would like to have me speak at your church, conference, or event, please visit my speaking page at www.brianholmes.com/speaking
How can you join the conversation and be a part?
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
- Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
- Leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development
I trust that something we’ve shared today has challenged you to pursue God’s very best for your life, be healed from the past, be transformed in your mind and heart, and be activated to fulfill your unique purpose and destiny.
If you’d like to COMMENT ON THIS EPISODE, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you— comment, question, or whatever.
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful.
“Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. God Bless!